May 31 – June 2
Javits Center | NYC
Our agenda is here, and as in past years, participants have a choice of two different topics for each day. This page is for your quick reference, so you can find our daily topics as well as information for each day's plan for Twitter parties and our Instagram Challenge. Links will be added for quick reference as items go live.
We have a lot of great stuff planned, so enjoy!
Wednesday, May 31
- Introductions: Questions can be found here.
- Best Practices in the Online Book Community: Let's talk about our best practices within the book community. This can range from time management to the use of social media to even ethical obligations.
Thursday, June 1
- What Do Readers Want?: What makes or breaks a book? How do we rate the books, or determine if it is good literature or a good story? What do we want from an author event? How does diversity representation fit into all of this?
- Let's Collaborate & Listen: The online book community has changed so much over the years. How do we keep up within our own book-sphere as well as within the community as a whole (i.e., libraries, bookstores, authors, publishers, etc.)?
Friday, June 2
- Delving Into Diversity: Book Expo sparked quite the controversy a couple years ago regarding diversity in books and authors. Where are we now? OR, let's take a different direction and explore the diversity of the format of a book. Do we judge a book by its cover and/or content (e.g.,, audio, digital, graphic, etc.)? Or, combine the two topics and discuss diversity found in alternative content (e.g., representation in graphic novels). Get creative and maybe even controversial!
- Dining With the Authors: Every year at Book Expo, children and adult authors are featured during breakfast. Who would you dream of enjoying a meal with? Would it be breakfast, lunch, dinner, or simply coffee? What would your meal be? What would you discuss?
Twitter Party @ 2 PM EST: Favorite Authors
- Giveaways: Today is the day for you to host your very own giveaway to share with other Armchair Book Expo participants. You choose the prize and you run the giveaway.
- ISO Books: As readers, we are always looking for our next book to read or a stack to fill our TBR shelves. This is your opportunity to ask using our Armchair Book Expo Book Suggestion Generator (aka YOU!). Are you wanting to expand your horizons with minority characters? Are you in search of your next book club read? Do you want to explore your graphic novel or comic book options? Or, are you looking for a book that broaches a mental health or childhood issue to help you grow in understanding and knowledge in your personal life? YOU ask and YOU answer.
Sunday, June 4: Wrap-Up
Twitter Party @ 9 AM EST: Wrapping It Up